The primary goal of the Moravian-Silesian Region with regard to education, youth and sports is to contribute to the comprehensive harmonious development of the Region’s inhabitants. The priorities in this area are based on the strategic documents, primarily the Strategic Plan for the Development of Education and the Educational System of the Moravian-Silesian Region and also the MSR’s Development Programme for physical culture, leisure and a healthy lifestyle.
The Moravian-Silesian Region has an extensive network of primary and secondary schools that were founded by various different types of entities (List of schools and school facilities). The educational portfolio of the secondary schools founded by the Moravian-Silesian Region caters not only for the requirements of the students and their parents, but also for the labour market. Thus giving graduates a higher level of employability.
The Moravian-Silesian Region has also established six educational and psychological counselling centres and nine special education centres that also provide standard counselling services for children, pupils, students and their legal guardians and for schools and school facilities; one of these centres is privately run.
Three public universities are domiciled in the Moravian-Silesian Region – The VSB - Technical University, the University of Ostrava and the Silesian University together with several other private universities. The educational portfolio of tertiary education is additionally supplemented by branches of other universities and other colleges.
The Moravian-Silesian Region also has a number of educational establishments focusing primarily on children and young people that offer a wide range of non-formal education and leisure activities.
A directory of contacts in the Moravian-Silesian Region - leisure activities for children and young people
Systematic support for the development of education for the inhabitants of the Region and promoting sports and sports activities are both accomplished, inter alia, through the relevant subsidy programmes.
The Moravian-Silesian Region fulfils its extensive Education, Youth and Sports agenda through the Department of Education, Youth and Sports of the Regional Authority of the Moravian-Silesian Region, within the scope of both public administration and the local government.
Tasks within the autonomous scope
- investigating and handling complaints, reports and suggestions and petitions,
- proposing measures based on the results of investigating complaints, reports and suggestions received,
- providing education consulting services to the relevant local authorities,
- preparing opinions on draft legislation (the amendment procedure).
Tasks involving delegated powers include:
- in cooperation with the founder of the school ensuring that pupils who are children of a person who is a citizen of another Member State of the European Union and other foreigners, are prepared for free for their inclusion in the basic education programme including teaching them Czech,
- in cooperation with the founder of the school to support teaching those pupils who are the children of a person who is a citizen of another Member State of the European Union his/her mother tongue and about the culture of his/her country of origin to the maximum possible extent,
- provide training for the teachers who will be educating those pupils who are the children of a person who is a citizen of another Member State of the European Union and other foreigners.