Hukvaldy Castle

The name of the castle was derived from the name of the Rhineland Count´s family of Hückeswagens, whose member Arnold received the Jičín Castle with a large territory in 1228 – 1235. The founder of the Hukvaldy Castle was probably Arnold´s grandson Jindřich. Soon after its foundation Hukvaldy became part of the property of Olomouc Bishops, where it was often put into pledge. The castle tower offers a wide view of the Moravian gate, the floodplain of the Odra River to Ostrava and the main range of the Moravian-Silesian Beskydy Mountains. Another attraction is a game preserve with fallow deer and mouflons. The place is inseparably connected with the life and the work of the composer Leoš Janáček – the castle premises is annually the place of the International Music Festival Janáček´s Hukvaldy.

Hukvaldy from the Height
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
14/nahled02.jpg

THE LACK OF WATER

14/nahled03.jpg

THE CASTLE CORE

14/nahled04.jpg

CASTLE GATES

14/nahled05.jpg

CHAPEL OF ST. ANDREW

14/nahled06.jpg

THE CASTLE PREMISES