The Museum in Frenštát p. R.

Frenštát pod Radhoštěm is, among others, a centre of culture and local folk traditions. Ethnographers agreed at their meeting in Brno in 1924 that the Frenštát Region belongs with its dialect to Lachia and ethnographically to Wallachia. The Frenštát Region is an area, where the current folk creativity directly continues the old tradition of folk art.

The museum forms an inseparable part of the town. Nowadays, the museum is open in the former boys´ school which used to be the second oldest Czech lower secondary school in Moravia. The museum was inaugurated within celebrations of the 625-year anniversary of Frenštát p. R. on 16 June 2007. It offers its visitors 3 exhibition halls and 9 permanent expositions. The first exhibits for this museum were collected at the end of the 19th century. In 1893, at the time of preparations for the Ethnographic Exhibition, an Ethnographic Department was established in the town, whose members donated collections to the town. The museum specializes in the development of the weaving industry and folk art. The museum also shows some painted nativity scenes which were produced abundantly in the town in the past. Treasured exhibits also include a collection of old paintings on glass and a set of small recess sculptures.

The Entrance to the Museum
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
2/nahled02.jpg

THE TOUCHES OF NATURE

2/nahled03.jpg

THERE ACROSS THE SEA

2/nahled04.jpg

THE PAINTINGS

2/nahled05.jpg

A SHUTTLE SINGS