Štramberk Trúba

Štramberk Castle was founded at the end of the 13th century. The latest works consider the noble Benešovics, or Olomouc Přemysl Princes to be the builders of the castle after 1200. In the 13th century the castle was owned by the Religious and Knights Templar Order. After cancelling the order in 1312 the castle was owned by John of Luxembourg, the Czech King, and in 1333 – 1346 by Charles, a Moravian Margrave, future Czech King Charles IV. Since 1350 (since 1359 as Castrum Strallenberg) the castle belonged to the founder of the town, Jan Jindřich, a Moravian Margrave, for 25 years, and since 1375 to its son, Margrave Jošt of Lucembourg. The most important owner of the castle after 1380 was the Moravian-Silesian branch of the family of Benešovics – the Lords of Kravaře (until 1433). After 1533 the castle gradually decayed. In 1783 the front part of the castle collapsed and masonry was broken up for building material. The remains of the fortification and a Gothic castle tower called Trúba, which looms above the town, are the only parts preserved until the present. In 1901-1903 the circular tower (so called bergfrit – the height of 40m, the diameter of 10m) was roofed and modified to an outlook tower according to the design of a well-known Prague architect Kamil Hilbert. The outer fortifications were partly completed and two castle gates were built. You can enjoy a beautiful view of the Beskydy and the Jeseníky Mountains until the present.

View from the Trúba
This content requires Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled.
Built on Flash Panorama Player.
23/nahled02.jpg

MORAVIAN BETHLEHEM

23/nahled03.jpg

FOLK ARCHITECTURE

23/nahled04.jpg

ŠTRAMBERK CASTLE

23/nahled05.jpg

BURGHER HOUSES

23/nahled06.jpg

LACHIAN EDUCATIONAL TRAIL